3.31.2009

A Monster Weekend Update

We drove down to LA this past weekend to go to the LA fashion district, see the Wayne Thiebaud exhibit in Palm Springs, and go to the Getty. We did lots and lots of driving and some sleeping in the car too. Mike is the perfect road trip companion, an easy going guy who loves to drive. We filled the iPod with books on tape and took off late (8:30 to be exact) Thursday night, and rolled into town around 3:00 am Friday. We are terrible about getting out the door in a timely manner, something we definitely need to work on.


Fashion District: So many beautiful fabrics and notions. I had to exercise all the self control I could muster to not buy tons and tons of fabric. I ended up buying only two fabrics for myself (silk for a blouse and grey wool for a skirt) and some fabric for our project couch (!!!). This place was way more ghetto than I expected, but totally worth the trip. Michael Levine and Fabrics Fabrics are worthy of your time if you are going there. Thanks Tracy for the tips!


Palm Springs: We drove down to Palm Springs to see the Wayne Theibaud exhibit and stopped in a few shops on the way. The owner, Glenn, of the first shop we stopped in, 20 First Modern & Vintage Furnishings, was very helpful. He gave us direction to the Museum, told us where the Kaufmann House was, which neighborhoods we should check out and gave us a recommendation for a swanky place to have dinner. Plus his shop had amazing things in it, I could have been happy with anything in there.

Palm Springs Museum of Art









Some nice homes, not done justice in these pictures.


Okay, that is all for now. More tomorrow.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

my sewing teacher looked at me like i was crazy when i told her i was from california but had never been to the fashion district. sometimes she hops on over to las vegas just to buy fabric and that obviously entails hopping on over to the fashion district for an afternoon.... i must be crazy. i felt crazy after she told me that! i just have to go now! these pictures are magazine worthy.

mike g said...

I was absolutely giddy when we got into the first store. Seriously. All the glorious fabric we salivate over that is online, there right in front of me. My head was spinning. Yes hop on over, first come to SF then we can take a jog down to LA.

mike g said...

that is me Bille,up there not Mike.

shawna said...

dang bille, i forgot how freakin cute you are. I like your hairs a lot. You need more pictures of YOU on your blog...and maybe less pictures of perfume bottles...